Well, this was known earlier as well but we had not confirmation from Google but nobody expected them to come out and say it.
Google's Rahul J from Google My Business team has now confirmed this via a post at Google My Business help forum. He suggested four parameters/factors used by Google for Google My Business Listing ranking including "Search History: In the past how many times has the listing been clicked on by users searching with the keyword."
Below are the four parameters he listed:
- Relevance: How relevant is your business category/listing to the search phrase used by the user?
- Prominence: Traffic to your business listing. How established is the business online.
- Distance: How close the business is location from where the search is being made.
- Search history: In the past how many times has the listing been clicked on by users searching with the keyword.
Apart from the above factors, he suggested some best practices as well like:1. Select the right category for the Business Listing
2. Share your business location and page with your customers
3. Request reviews from your delighted customers.
4. Regularly update your listings with Texts, Photos, Videos, Links, Events and polls
5. Update photos with customers
He also linked a wonderful FAQ page consist of many tips you can use to promote your Google My Business page which you should Bookmark is quickly.
But the TOP 4 major Parameters are:
Relevance, Prominence, Distance & Search History!